By Mary Petiet
STEM Starter Academy students at 4C’s and at any community college in the Commonwealth can chart their course forward and further their education goals through the STEM Summer Transfer Academy.
Students transferring from one of the fifteen community colleges in Massachusetts and transferring to a state college or university to pursue a bachelor’s degree in a STEM field are welcome to apply to a Summer Transfer Academy program. These programs will either run in-person or virtually, depending on the status of social distancing and campus policy at that time.
The STEM Summer Transfer Academy is a continuation of the opportunity created by the STEM Starter Academy (SSA). The goal of SSA is to expand the pipeline of students who are aware of, interested in, and prepared to pursue rigorous certificate and degree programs at Massachusetts community colleges, leading to careers in STEM fields.
STEM transfer academy programs allow students the opportunity to get a jump start on their time at the university. Students who participate in the summer bridge will:
- Have fun
- Meet other STEM transfer students
- Get to know the faculty who will be teaching your classes in the fall
- Take a free class that applies to your major
- Know where and how to access key resources on campus
State colleges across Massachusetts have Summer Transfer Academy opportunities available for students transferring in from local community colleges. Opportunities close to home for 4C’s students include Bridgwater State University and Massachusetts Maritime Academy.
If you are a 4C’s STEM student planning to transfer to Bridgewater State University, you can apply for the Summer STEM Transfer Academy (SSTA) to get a jump start and save money. The program is free and includes:
- FREE 3-credit online summer course (Core requirement course: CRIT 111, a $1300 value) from July 11-August 12
- Two orientation sessions (4 days total) where you will meet BSU students, faculty, and fellow STEM transfer students. You will also learn about opportunities, resources, and support services available at BSU
- Follow up sessions during Fall 2022
If you are a 4C’s student planning to transfer to the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, you can apply to their summer transfer academy. This includes:
- A free summer class
- Early advising
- Visit campus for orientation sessions
- Introduction to MMA faculty, staff, and students
- Participants learn about campus support services and resources and receive a $250 stipend
Other state schools offering Summer Transfer Academy opportunities include Fitchburg State University, Framingham State University, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, Salem State University, UMass Amherst, UMass Boston, UMass Dartmouth, UMass Lowell, Westfield State University, Worcester State University.
How to Apply
- Link to program deadlines and other details here: https://www.mass.edu/strategic.... It is your responsibility to make sure that you are sending the application to your program by the deadline listed for that particular program. Note that programs dates and applications differ by institution.
- Programs are being offered at all of the public 4-year institutions that offer STEM baccalaureate degrees. You should apply to participate in the program at the institution that you will be attending in Fall 2022; if you are uncertain about where you will be attending, please select all the universities you have applied to in the form. Once you have been accepted and determined where you will be going, let us know so we can have you enroll in the appropriate program.
- Fill out the online application