STEM at School
The STEM Starter Academy: Get in on the learning
The STEM Starter Academy helps students find their way onto STEM Pathways—that is, STEM learning that leads to university programs and careers in high-demand science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields.
If you’re part of the Cape Cod Community College community, you’ve probably heard about the Starter Academy’s scholarship program. It's part of the STEM Starter Academy (SSA) initiative throughout the state's 15-campus community college system and it has given a real boost to students here at CCCC.
But there’s lots more to SSA than scholarships. The initiative has enabled CCCC to offer a coordinated set of activities that support student retention, college completion, and career placement. Here are current highlights we want everyone in our network to know about:
- This summer, SSA is sponsoring the Summer Bridge program at Cape Cod Community College. Summer Bridge is a program for incoming first-year full-time students. It is designed to give students a head start on their mathematics sequence and build study skills, too. This summer, participants can receive funding for one mathematics course and one first-year seminar, plus, there’s a stipend of $500 to support them while they are in their courses.
- Throughout the academic year, SSA supports advising to help increase students’ awareness of STEM pathways. Here at CCCC, Colleen Coughlin serves as the STEM Academic Advisor. She works directly with students interested in STEM and supports them in understanding college and career pathways. Currently enrolled students interested in STEM can check her appointment availability through Starfish (click on STEM Services, then Colleen Coughlin to review appointment availability).
- SSA also supports Peer Tutors and Supplemental Instructors (SIs) across STEM courses. Students have found that they learn more when they have the chance to work with their peers, and they develop valuable friendships as well. SIs are Peer Tutors who participate in the course as well as tutor students outside the course.
- SSA funds scholarships for students enrolled in a STEM concentration at CCCC. That includes students in Computer Science (AACSC), Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing (ASEAM), Environmental Studies (AAENV), Information Technology (ASINT), and Science, Mathematics, and Pre-Engineering (AASMP).
- Knowing what “doing STEM” looks like or what it means to be in a STEM career help increase student interest and involvement in STEM learning. Various SSA-funded career and outreach events are helping the College reach and retain STEM students in these ways.
Currently enrolled students should email Colleen Coughlin to learn more about any of these STEM Starter Academy programs.
Or as always, we invite you to email Cape Cod Regional STEM Network Director Jill Neumayer DePiper with your ideas and questions.