This Weekend Naturalist and Animal Care Assistant position is a part-time position working Saturdays and occasional Sundays and weekdays at Audubon Society of Rhode Island Nature Center and Aquarium in Bristol, Rhode Island. The Naturalist is responsible for teaching and developing nature programs, animal training and care, leading guided tours/nature walks, and offering interpretation of indoor exhibits. This position also assists in the admissions and gift shop area, special events and facility rentals. This position is supervised by the Director of the Nature Center and Aquarium and works closely with other staff, volunteers and interns.
As a member of the ASRI staff the person in this position is an ambassador for the Society, fostering a commitment to Audubon’s mission, values and culture of philanthropy.
Location: Audubon Society of Rhode Island Nature Center and Aquarium, Bristol, RI
1. Teach nature birthday party programs and public programs.
2. Train education animals, including bird of prey and ravens, in new behaviors and reinforce trained behaviors.
3. Prepare and feed animal diet. Routine husbandry and cleaning of cages.
4. Leading guided tours and nature walks, as well as offer interpretation of indoor exhibits.
5. Maintain education props, specimens, and resource materials as needed.
6. Assist with covering the front admissions and gift shop area, as needed.
7. Help with special events and facility rentals.
8. Answer questions regarding natural history and environmental topics as needed. Remain informed about current natural history and environmental issues.
9. Miscellaneous other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
Weekend Naturalist page 2 Knowledge/Skills:
· Requires strong knowledge of and background in the natural sciences.
· Knowledge of animal behavior and animal behavior modification.
· Proven success in training and controlling wild animals, specifically birds of prey
· Experienced working with (teaching) children as well as adults.
· Successful practice with program development and curriculum.
· Able and willing to work outdoors. · Excellent communication skills.
· Able and willing to work in a team environment as well as independently.
· Duties are performed under general supervision and established guidelines.
· Must maintain decorum and judgement as legally required to work with children.
· Demonstrates common sense, flexibility, and teamwork.
· Refers difficult questions or unusual problems to supervisor.
· Communicates with a diverse group of people, including students, parents, board of directors, donors, volunteers, education partners, the public and other staff.
· Consistently demonstrates professional, positive, and approachable attitude/demeanor and discretion.
Working Conditions/Physical Effort:
· Work environment requires ability and willingness to work outdoors; may involve exposure to disagreeable elements. Some physical exertion and/or strain; must be able and willing to lift 35 pounds. Requires availability on weekends.
Please send cover letter and résumé electronically by March 13, 2010 to: Anne M. DiMonti, Director Audubon Society of Rhode Island Nature Center and Aquarium 1401 Hope Street, Bristol, RI 02809 firstname.lastname@example.org
Audubon Society of Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer