The Weekend Naturalist works Saturdays and Sundays at Audubon’s Nature Center and Aquarium in Bristol, Rhode Island. The Naturalist is responsible for leading birthday parties and teaching public programs, providing guided tours/nature walks, offering interpretation of indoor exhibit and feeding animals. This position also assists in the admissions and gift shop area, special events and facility rentals. This position is supervised by the Director of the Nature Center and Aquarium and works closely with other staff, volunteers and interns.
As a member of the Audubon Society of RI staff the person in this position is an ambassador for the organization, fostering a commitment to Audubon’s mission, values, and culture of philanthropy.
Weekend Naturalist Duties:
- Lead nature birthday party programs and public programs.
- Assist to develop educational programing, as needed.
- Work with animals used in education programs, as necessary (raptors, reptiles, amphibians & arthropods).
- Prepare animal diet and feed animals.
- Lead guided tours and nature walks, as well as offer interpretation of exhibits.
- Maintain education props, specimens, and resource materials as needed.
- Assist with covering the front admissions and gift shop area.
- Help with special events and facility rentals.
- Answer questions regarding natural history and environmental topics as needed. Remain informed about current natural history and environmental issues.
- Miscellaneous other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree, or working towards a degree, in one of the natural sciences or education.
- Experienced teaching children, as well as adults.
- Successful practice with program development and curriculum.
- Experience working with animals a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Work in a team environment, as well as independently.
- Candidates should have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Hold or be able to acquire First Aid and CPR certification.
- Must undergo and pass a background check upon hire
- Duties are performed under general supervision and established guidelines.
- Must maintain decorum and judgement as legally required to work with children.
- Demonstrates common sense, flexibility, and teamwork.
- Refers difficult questions or unusual problems to supervisor.
- Communicates with a diverse group of people, including students, parents, board of directors, donors, volunteers, education partners, the public and other staff.
- Consistently demonstrates professional, positive, and approachable attitude/demeanor and discretion.
- Work environment requires outdoors activities; may involve exposure to disagreeable elements.
- Must be physically capable and able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Requires availability on weekends and occasional evenings.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree, or working towards a degree, in one of the natural sciences or education.
Experienced teaching children, as well as adults.
Successful practice with program development and curriculum.
Experience working with animals a plus.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Work in a team environment, as well as independently.
Candidates should have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
Hold or be able to acquire First Aid and CPR certification.
Must undergo and pass a background check upon hire
To apply please send a full cover letter and resume to:
Audubon Society of RI Nature Center and Aquarium Director
by July 24, 2023