The Waquoit Bay Research Foundation seeks a part-time assistant to help with several water quality monitoring programs. Funding is provided by an EPA Southeast New England Program (SNEP) Grant. The project involves many partners and aims to develop a regional-scale, online water quality database in combination with an automated interpretive tool for Cape Cod towns to 1) track changes in their estuarine health and 2) assess the success of current and future nitrogen mitigation techniques.
Duties and Tasks (some training provided):
- Collect water samples in the Waquoit Bay Estuary.
- Assist in housing maintenance for water quality monitoring equipment (must be able to lift heavy (30-50 lbs) field equipment).
- Filter water samples.
- Calibrate handheld equipment and multi-parameter YSI sondes.
- Prepare volunteer water quality monitoring equipment and sample bottles.
- Enter data and run preliminary analyses as needed.
- Conduct literature reviews and investigate quality control measures for the development of the Waquoit Bay Reserve Quality Assurance Project Plan (QAPP).
- Update historic files by applying current data quality assurance and control measures to pre-2008 datasets.
- Process turbidity/water clarity and chlorophyll-a/pheophytin-a samples.
- Acid-wash dishware.
HOURS: 9am-5pm, 2 days per week.
PAY RATE: $20/hour; no benefits.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: 1) at least three years completed towards an undergraduate degree in biology, chemistry, or environmental science; 2) experience with Microsoft Office software; 3) previous fieldwork experience; 4) boat experience (must be comfortable on boats); 5) ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Preferred qualifications: Graduated with bachelors degree in disciplines listed above; experience in water quality research; excellent writing skills.
TO APPLY: Please e-mail resume and cover letter to Ms. Jordan Mora, Waquoit Bay NERR Research Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions, email or call (508) 457-0495 x 128.