University of Maryland Extension invites applications for a full-time, grant-funded Shellfish Aquaculture Extension Specialist. This position will provide Extension support for the USDA funded “Smart Sustainable Shellfish Aquaculture Management (S3AM)” project. Major responsibilities of the position are to coordinate Extension and outreach activities of a national multidisciplinary team to develop and implement smart technologies to advance bottom culture of oysters in the United States. Annual renewal of contract for up to five years will be dependent on USDA funding and results of annual accomplishment reporting.
• Bachelor’s degree in aquaculture or a related field.
• Experience in oyster aquaculture production with emphasis on bottom culture techniques.
• This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
• Master’s or Ph.D. in aquaculture or a relevant discipline preferred.
• Experience providing Extension support to shellfish growers is highly desired.
• The candidate should be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously while working independently, as well as a member of a team.
• The individual should have strong communication skills and be able to communicate with a variety of audiences.
• Assist in building a nationwide Extension network focused on shellfish aquaculture technology to support S3AM project goals;
• Link team members and industry for S3AM advancement;
• Coordinate activities of a national advisory board for the S3AM project;
• Assist team member meetings and workshops;
• Identify audiences for needs assessments;
• Assist with production of peer reviewed journal articles, Extension publications and video products documenting the S3AM project;
• Provide leadership in developing a project focused website;
• Interact with project evaluation specialist to ensure outputs, outcomes and impacts are measured and communicated to stakeholders;
• Assist with reporting and other written deliverables, and; other duties related to S3AM project and shellfish Extension technologies education as developed or assigned.
• The position will work closely with University of Maryland Extension Specialists and researchers as well as team members at other institutions, agencies and NGOs. The position is also expected to work closely and develop working partnerships with non-project UME Extension Specialists and researchers with Maryland Sea Grant through University of Maryland College Park, the University of Maryland’s Center for Environmental Studies (UMCES), Morgan State University’s PEARL laboratory and hatchery, and others.
SALARY & BENEFITS: Salary will be commensurate with experience, with a hiring range of $45,000-$65,000. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package. The position is a 12-month full-time contract that may be renewed annually, based on performance and funding.
APPLICATIONS: All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu A complete application packet includes a letter of application, a current (signed) resume or Curriculum Vitae, copies of transcripts (official transcripts will be required if offered the position), and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.