The Facility Manager at the Audubon Society of Rhode Island is a full-time position with benefits, located at the Nature Center and Aquarium/Claire McIntosh Wildlife Refuge in Bristol, Rhode Island.
The Facility Manager is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the building and grounds at the Nature Center and Aquarium/Claire McIntosh Wildlife Refuge while paying special attention to the appearance and safety for visitors.
This position works closely with all members of the Audubon staff, volunteers, and Conservation team. The position is supervised by the Director of the Nature Center and Aquarium.
As a member of the Audubon staff the incumbent in this position is an ambassador for the Society, fostering a commitment to Audubon’s mission, values and culture of philanthropy.
- Monitor and maintain upkeep of the Nature Center and Aquarium to ensure safe and efficient functioning of facility, including performing minor repairs as needed.
- Oversee all aspects of maintenance and upkeep of the Claire McIntosh refuge including but not limited to, gardens, grounds, trails, boardwalk, fencing, parking lot, Center cottage and border of property. This also includes removal of trash/recycling on refuge and snow removal.
- Coordinate and work with service contractors to retain proper maintenance of facility.
- Maintain property lines and corners.
- Contribute to development of Center and refuge projects, as needed, to maximize visitor experience.
- Assist the Conservation staff as needed on projects at the Nature Center and other Audubon wildlife refuges, statewide.
- Assist with animal care staff, as needed, with upkeep of animal collection housed at the Center which includes reptiles, fish/marine invertebrates, arthropods, ravens and raptors.
- Responsible for maintenance of tools and equipment owned by the Society held at the Center.
- No direct supervision of other staff but works with and directs volunteers, Community Service volunteers and interns. Serve as a representative of and a liaison for, the Society within the community, members and visitors.
- Communicate regularly with Center Director regarding any issues with building, grounds, programming and animal collection. Coordinate with the Director any purchase of necessary materials and equipment.
- Assist with special events, public programs and functions.
- Maintain a professional appearance and attitude.
- Other duties as directed by Nature Center and Aquarium Director.
- Minimum: High/Secondary school diploma or equivalent and relevant formal academic/vocational qualification.
- Ability to operate and maintain small power tools, landscaping tools and Z-turn mower.
- Aptitude in carpentry and construction skills.
- Knowledge of practices and procedures involved in management of facilities. Knowledge of supply and maintenance control practices, a plus.
- May require working knowledge of building and maintenance such as electrical, plumbing, HVAC and construction codes
- Ability to diagnose and address issues with equipment, outdoor public spaces, and work offices.
- Strong organizational skills necessary to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Knowledge and understanding of local natural wildlife.
- Demonstrated experience in MS Office and Word. Ability to used computer functions including navigating the Internet.
- Good presentation skills to convey Audubon mission to diverse groups.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Primary work location: Audubon Nature Center and Aquarium in Bristol, RI
- 35 hours per week. Weekly schedule may be flexible based on project needs.
- Work requires physical exertion and/or physical strain and the ability to lift 50 lbs. Work environment may involve exposure to disagreeable elements.
- Must be able to work weekends, nights and holidays, as needed, for special events and programs.
To apply please send a full cover letter and resume to:
Audubon Society of RI Nature Center and Aquarium Director
by January 27, 2023